In February this year, there was news on TV about an electronic cigarette exploding in a man's mouth. I suggest you watch this 55-second video
In less than a minute we found out that:
- A man is recovering from severe injuries after an e-cig exploded in his mouth. (Followed by a picture of normally manufactured and sold electronic cigarettes)
- The man was smoking an electronic cigarette in Pensacola, Florida, when it exploded in his mouth causing nasty injuries to his teeth and part of his tongue. His face was covered in blood and the entire furniture in his room was thrashed.
Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association (TVECA) is not aware of any previous explosion among 2.5 million of current e-cigarette users. (Reporter's voice suggesting that TVECA might not have awareness of much anyway.)
Fire dept unit arrived to the place. (A few seconds – and litterally so - for the fire dept to explain what happened.)
Investigators still don't know which brand of e-cigarettes he was using... but the screen is again full of regular e-cig models. (Can you see the pattern here?)
The news, brought to us by Associated Press, were delivered in a conveniently panicky voice.So any regular classic cigarette smoker is supposed to feel... a big no-no to this relatively new gizmo, of course. You never know when it might explode, right?
Yeah, right. Shawn, a pretty smart guy with an extensive e-cig user experience, is on this video, explaining exactly what happened and why, and the video is 13 minutes long. Well, it takes that time, unlike the 55-second AP news, you know.
So, let's break it down from the fire department report. That same fire department that was allowed in the news with one sentence.
1. It was not an e-cigarette. It was an e-cigar shaped tube. Several time larger than e-cigarette.
2. It was not made by any e-cigarette (or e-cigar, for that matter) manufacturer. It was a „mod“ – mod here meaning a self-made e-cigar.
3. Two batteries were found there, not one that normal mass-produced e-cig uses.
4. It used a maglite tube without any normal venting system essential for a litium ion battery.
Now, not a single one of the above points was mentioned in the Associated Press so-called report.
Read on Pressing Associated Part 2
Back to Electronic Cigarettes And Media
Back to Home page